It's MSG for your head!







Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Money Troubles Never Looked So Good

            Naturally, Liz and I are having money troubles.  It seems to be a fundamental part of our life together.  It’s part of “our way.”  But it’s been a long and ugly year, and with everything else behind us, I am frikkin’ excited to get back to something as simple as money troubles.  Seriously.  I’m pumped.  I’m jacked up.
            Having been unable to work for six months, Liz is recovering nicely from her knee surgery and decided she was ready to go back to work and after six months she practically got out of bed with her choice of jobs.  From nothing to “Hmmn, let’s see, here.” 
            What can you do?  When it rains it pours.  When it pains, it roars.  And all the colored girls go, “Do do-do, do, do do-do…”
           
            So Liz goes back to work, the twins will be moving out soon and for the first time since we’ve been together it will just be Liz and I, the weather is frikkin’ gorgeous… I don’t normally get emotionally involved with weather, but this here lately has been enough to bring a grown man to tears of joy and triumph. 
            Particularly grown men that don’t like summer.  And with things turning hesitantly for the better, I had a crazy whim and decided to gradually replace my coffee with a decafinated and highly sugared cappucino mix.
            Just a few days of this and I’m already feeling like a teenager.  Literally, I feel better than I’ve felt since I was a teenager.  I didn’t think there was a wishing well out there man enough to grant me such a wish.  I figured the chance of ever saying, “…not since I was a teenager” had long since passed by forever. 

            Unfortunately, my sudden rejuvenation hasn’t done much for ol’ Lizzie Lou.  She’s doing a lot better, but she isn’t feeling like a teenager, exactly.  Not quite in her twenties, either.  Maybe a hard knock thirties.  Instead of dog years, them’s orphan Annie years.  Orphans got it rough, man. 
            Anyway, she’s glad to hear of my continued progress, but she doesn’t really want to hear it.  Which is perfectly understandable.  Besides that, it’s perdy dern easy to get into trouble saying, “Ya know, I feel great!” 
            “Oh yeah?  That’s good to hear.  I got a job for ya.  Come here.  Get over here.  No, don’t go that way, come this way.”  And the chase is on.  

            I had all this stuff I was going to get done tonight, but unexpectedly wound up babysitting.  It was only for about an hour, but an hour with Allie is something else.  You don’t just walk away and shrug it off. 
I don’t, anyway. 
I spend an hour with that beautiful baby and afterward I walk around light on my feet singing Beatles’ songs to myself and making sentimental phone calls and funny faces in the mirror.  And I get hungry for carrot cake for no good reason at all.  It’s awful.  I’m shameless.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment