It's MSG for your head!







Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do You Remember Me?

           Somebody comes up to me and asks, “Do you remember me?” they might as well square up and give me a real Superbowl punt kick to the groin, ‘cause I prob’ly don’t.  I’m terrible like that.
            Even people I know ask me that and I think to myself, ‘Well, I thought I did.  You’ve got me second-guessing, now.  Why are you asking?  Have I been staring?’ 
I’ve had family ask me that, old friends, old acquaintances, high school folk, I even had an ex-girlfriend ask me not that long ago.  I was shocked.  As a matter of principle you should always make note of anyone you have seen naked.  Unless it’s in a locker room or public place, in which case it is prob’ly best to block out as best you can.
            It gets to be almost a little insulting.  Or maybe I’m just overreacting. 
Maybe they’re just being polite by asking first.  Just to make sure. 
I am defensive, I admit.  Had the ex ask me that and I thought, ‘Man, are my eyes that red?  Do I smell that bad?  Am I that poor?  What is it about me that my own ex-girlfriend would ask me that?  I admit it was a short-lived romance, but come on!’  

            Anyway, I am pretty bad about it.  Aside from the ex, I can’t remember the last time that question brought forth a happy answer.  I can remember a few times it didn’t.  Thankfully, there isn’t much of a story to tell.  Nothing too painfully awkward.  Just stoney silence.  I can live with that when I have to. 

            Alcoholism is a tragic ordeal and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.  But at least I have that in my past, when it comes to that question.  “Do you remember me?”  “Hmmmn, was the bar involved?”  “Yeah.”  “Oh, well, there you go.  I sure don’t.” 
Doesn’t mean I was blacked out drunk.  Or even tipsy.   But the bar is one place where the value of a man is not determined by his capacity to remember things.  I do like that about it.  

1 comment:

  1. "But the bar is one place where the value of a man is not determined by his capacity to remember things. I do like that about it." Well Said!!

    ReplyDelete